Howard Tanner is proud to host the Paramount Unified School District
AVID Program for our elementary school students.
What is AVID?
- A schoolwide college readiness system
- A structured approach to rigorous curriculum
- Professional learning for educators
- Direct support structure for first-generation college students
How does AVID Work?
- Accelerates under-achieving students who have potential into more rigorous courses
- Develops a sense of hope and personal achievement gained through hard work and determination
- Provides intensive academic support with in-class college tutors twice per week at a 7 to 1 ratio
How will AVID help our students?
- Develop critical readers and writers
- Develop deep content knowledge and critical thinking
- Develop habits, skills, and behaviors to use knowledge and abilities
- Improves student self-confidence
- Develop college and career awareness